Reeve,

>Am I mis-reading or was it mis-written?  I'm mis-tified.

I believe the DFT() value, or in your case, the implied default of the current
time, is only applied when using a record format excluding the field.  Thus when
you used a LF without the timestamp field, the PF received the current time.
Similarly, if you used a SQL INSERT without naming the field, it would also
receive the current time.

In your second DFU (the one without the timestamp field), did you use the PF
record format name?  If so, that would explain the behavior.  In that case you
in essence named the field by virtue of it being in the format, and thus are
responsible for populating the field.

In RPG if you name the PF format you have the same situation -- the default does
not apply anymore.

If you don't want to use a LF which excludes the timestamp field, another option
would be to create a *Before trigger which allows repeating changes, and modify
the record buffer to include the current time (and possibly user ID, etc).

Doug