Edward,
try to find out oif this card needs an external transceiver, that could be the
failing
part as well. AFAIK all V3R2 ethernet cards needed it, when connected to RJ45
(twisted pair) networks (sometimes called 10BaseT). Usually these transceivers
have their own indicators on it, you should have someone looking at them.
Having such a thing in place would explain the fact that the hub still thinks
that there is a "link online".
The transceiver itself is a small box that has a DB-15 connector for an AUI-port
on one side and an RJ-45 on the other.

HTH, regards from Germany, Philipp Rusch