James

Say you have a 6meg file. On a *nix swap partition it'll
be a continuous block of 6meg, right? On a 400, it'll
probably be in 6 1meg extents, on 6 separate drives. All
6 will go to their extent at basically the same time, so
seek time is about the same, since it's in parallel. the
actual elapsed time to physically read the data off
disk, assuming the same rotational speed, is about 1/6th
that of the long, 6meg file on a single platter.

Eh?

Vern