Rick,

As long as the PC is running IP and has a remote command daemon running,
what you describe is very practical.  Please note that the stuff below
is somewhat simplified, but it should be enough to get you started.

The two AS/400 commands below illustrate the idea with either a host
name or an IP address.

RUNRMTCMD CMD('c:\pgmname.exe') RMTLOCNAME(MYPC *IP)
RUNRMTCMD CMD('c:\pgmname.exe') RMTLOCNAME('7.19.19.93' *IP)

One the PC, ensure that the optional component 'Accept Incoming Remote
Command' is installed.

For your questions:
- a modern P2P network will typically communicate using TCP/IP,
including communications with an AS/400.

- for straight peer-to-peer, it is likely that the PC's have hard-coded
addresses.  In order for the PC's to automatically obtain an address,
one of them (or some other device like a router or the AS/400) would
have to function as a DHCP server which would assign the addresses.  In
order to RUNRMTCMD to work, you need either a DNS server (to resolve the
name to an address) or a hard-coded IP address on the PC.

- cheap is fine.  any desktop which can run word and client access
should do the trick.

- there is a 'batch' command to run predefined file transfers,
RTOPCB.EXE.  Check the help text in client access for the appropriate
parameter formats.  So your command on the AS/400 could look something
like this:

RUNRMTCMD CMD('RTOPCB c:\temp\test.tto') RMTLOCNAME('7.19.19.93' *IP)

the predefined transfer is contained in a file with a 'tto' extension.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse