Andy / Ken,

You are correct about needing to sign on to the console prior to the save being
run.  BRMS provides a program (Q1ACCON) that can be set as the Initial Program
of a user profile.  Once you sign on, the program goes into a "wait" state,
which I believe is waiting for commands to appear in a specified data queue.
If you know the password to the profile, you can use a function key to get to a
command line.  I have specified *SignOff as the Initial Menu so that if the
Initial Program is exited, the job is signed off.

I have a job schedule entry that uses a BRMS-supplied command (StrBkuBRM) which
has a parameter for SbmJob(*CONSOLE).  My guess is that the backup commands are
sent to the data queue that the monitor program is watching and then executes
them as they receive them.  BTW, I also use this process to run a quarterly
unattended Reclaim Storage.

I personally think this is a great way to do the full system saves.  All I need
to do is make sure that sometime during the week (or month) I get down to the
console (which is in a very secure location) and sign on using the monitor
profile.  If I do forget to sign on, nothing happens.  The job for the
scheduler kicks off, but since there is nothing monitoring the queue, nothing
gets started.

HTH,

Todd Kidwell (Netstar)
AS/400 System Administrator