Makes sense - OR is less selective than AND. There are
sections in the various DB books on the filter factors
used by the optimizer.

As far as using a logical or physical, there is no point
and no way to force use of a logical just by specifying
it - the optimize may find a better index (in its
opionion). The only time, I believe, is if the logical
has select/omit criteria in it.