>From: Booth Martin [mailto:Booth@MartinVT.com]
>The question that comes to my mind now though is the new Licensing
Practices from Microsoft.

The new model doesn't affect web servers unless they use Windows based
authentication. This is from the "New Licensing Model" that MS has put out:

"Anonymous access by Internet users to Windows 2000 Server-based servers
does not require a CAL, and is unaffected by the license changes."

Anonymous in this context means that you don't use Windows Authentication
(the popup dialog box) for security. If you use a login process where the
userid and password is stored in a database of your own creation you are
using "anonymous access"

So, if you are using 2000 server you'd spend < $1000 for the OS and that
would include 5 CALs, which you don't really need, but I couldn't find
pricing for 0 CALs. I guess you actually need a couple of CALs so you can
connect to the server to put your web pages on it.

The new MS licensing model is close to the software assurance we have from
IBM.

-Walden

PS. If you are using Windows based authentication there is an option to pay
$2000 for an unlimited number of users.

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software