I haven't looked at the all the details but as I understand it these two
models (in terms of CPW) cover about 80% of the installed AS/400's.  In
other words 80% of the machines in use today are under these CPW numbers.
Now, as to why only two models instead of a whole range you can speculate
as well as I can <g>.  For some customers this may actually be a great
hardware deal but cause them to spend more on software.  The 820 model is
in the P30 tier.  Ultimately, there has to be reasons that makes IBM good
money.  The good news should be is that it creates more opportunities for
people to acquire and upgrade.

I'm not quite as concerned about what IBM's true incentives are.  We have a
720 (two actually) that are in the P30 tier so the 820 model is an
extremely viable replacement machine.  So far the numbers we are looking at
are really very nice - so the pricing and promotion is a good deal.

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

                      "Urbanek, Marty"
                      <Marty_Urbanek@st        To:       midrange-l@midrange.com
                      ercomm.com>              cc:
                                               bcc:
                      08/01/02 07:25 AM        Subject:  GreenStreak?
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

What's the scoop on this:

http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/usalets&parms=H_302-156

I thought I saw Al say something the other day about a deal on interactive
capacity, but I don't get it. This seems to be only for a couple of
specific
machines. Why so specific? Why these particular interactive features? It's
not like they're backing down on their whole interactive tax structure, so
why the promotion at all? I thought they wanted to get everybody off green
screen. What are these dudes up to?

-Marty