Dave - is this a sockets program via tcp or a asynch or bisynch program
via rpg or similar? In a asynch program I do with a credit card co, when
they send a packet, I send back an ACK (a 1 character hex value). If
they are done, they send an EOT (finish ack?) and I send a final ACK.
All the signals are 1 character hex values, which when converted to
ascii, equal the ascii value the other server is looking for. Below is
a list of hex values I use (don't need all of them).
D* communication characters
d* warning: this table works with tables QASCII & QEBCDIC only
D  Soh            S              1A   inz(x'01')
start of header
D  Stx            S              1A   inz(x'02')
start of text
D  Etx            S              1A   inz(x'03')
end of text
D  Etb            S              1A   inz(x'26')
end transmit block
D  Enq            S              1A   inz(x'2D')
enquiry
D  Syn            S              1A   inz(x'16')
synchronization
D  Eot            S              1A   inz(x'37')
end of transmit
D  Ack            S              1A   inz(x'2E')
acknowledgement
D  Nak            S              1A   inz(x'3D')
negative acknowledge
D  Fs             S              1A   inz(x'1C')
field seperator
D  Plus           S              1A   inz(x'4E')
hangup

hth
jim franz