Al,

I'm on the fence on this one.  On one hand, sure, IBM says it will void your
contract or whatever.  Sure they can sue.  I can sue you for sending this
email to me.  Doesn't mean myself or IBM will win the lawsuit.  So, I
applaude Fast400 for venturing where few dare to tread.

On the other hand, without this type of "competition" every company would be
an IBM or Microsoft.  If IBM sold AS/400's at a lower price to more people
they'd make more money in the long run.  Maybe the best thing that will come
of this is IBM offering interactive features at a much lower cost, or a
lower base cost of the box itself.  That's what competition is for.  The
only problem is, if your opponent is already too big, you'll have little or
no luck even getting out of the starting gate.  ie... Bill Gates... he has
no competition.  He's too darned big.  No, I don't consider Linux
competition.  Not even close.

IBM wants the iSeries to be everyone's box.  By offering Linux, Apache,
etc... they are proving that.  But, until they let the rest of the core go
the route of the PC server world, they'll just be another big bully taking
their ball and going home when someone thinks outside the big blue box.

Anyhow, just felt like sharing.  This subject is not black and white...

Brad