I'll throw in my $0.02

As most people say, a degree isn't going to hurt you, but if you're getting
it just to have the piece of paper, you're looking at it the wrong way.

 From the conversation I've seen so far, it seems to me that most people
are treating a degree just like most people treat MCSE certifications: a
necessary hurdle you've got to pass to get the money.  I think this is a
real disservice to having a degree.  Pursue a degree program because you
want to learn.  It's a huge investment in time and money, so you also want
to consider very carefully what it is you want to study.

I've been programming computers for 24 years.  I am currently Chief
Information Officer at my organization, a position I worked up to from
Programmer/Analyst.  I've been a hiring supervisor for 10 years.  I also
have no degree.  It can be done, but I had to be in the right place at the
right time.  I had to be able to do my job, excel at it, and learn and
demonstrate competency and understanding of the work my superiors
performed, and gain a good solid grasp of the business concerns for my
organization.  Had I been chopping and changing jobs from one organization
to the next, it would have been much more difficult, if not impossible.

If I were to consider getting a degree now, assuming I desired to continue
as CIO type work, I wouldn't for a moment consider getting a degree is
computer science.  Business would be the only meaningful choice.  You have
got to consider your goals and ambitions and choose the right degree for
the work you want to perform.

I've looked at many a resume, and interviewed a lot of candidates.  I've
also worked with lots of programmers of varying skill levels, and I've some
general observations.  I've seen kids come out of school with a BS or BA in
computer science, who, although technically able to program, could not
reason their way through program logic to save their lives.  A degree
doesn't guarantee anything, but they can be better rounded in other areas
which can make them a more valuable asset.

Another thing to consider, although I have no degree, I did actually
complete 2+ years towards my BS in computer science.  In which time, I
learned a lot of conceptual information concerning the "science" of
programming and data structures.  Some of that information is not something
the average person is going to figure out through pure experience and I
have (at times) found that information invaluable.  I've especially found
that to be true with newer languages, such as Java.

Ok, so what was I saying?  Oh yes, get the degree if you can, but do it to
learn, not just to prove you can to an employer.  Arm yourself with as many
tools to succeed as possible - they can be there when you need them, and
they rarely work against you.

Good luck.