Bryan,
What value do you suggest for the data area, 'FF00FF' ?

I was already aware that a data area needed to be created and have been
using 'FF0000' per the bottom of the following document, which says to use
'FF0000' for eight port multiplexor problems.

IBM Support Line
Technical Document

    Document Number:   17025017
  Functional Area:                       Print
  SubFunctional Area:               Printer Hardware
  SubSubFunctional Area:       Twinax Attached Printers
  Product:  Operating System/400 - OS/400 PRINT/SPOOL (5769SS1SP)
  Release:  ALL

  Classification:       IBM Internal Use

 Document Title:Data Area for Twinax WSC Cards
 Document Description:
  The new twinax Work Station Adapter cards (6180, 2720, 2722) have three
major new features: 2X mode, Optimized Mode, and dual mode (dual mode is on
the 6180 and 2722 cards only).  Dual mode allows 2 ports to be active
simultaneously.  In older controllers (for example, 6050), only 1 port out
of 9 is active at any time.

These new functions can be disabled for troubleshooting problems, for
multiplexors, or for marginal cabling networks. One area that is a known
problem is that some 8 port twinax to fiber optic multiplexors will not
work with 2 ports active simultaneously (for example, dual mode).  This
includes the IBM 6299 twinax to fiber optic multiplexor. The dual mode of
operation must be disabled.

Note:  If 2X mode is disabled, the WSC also adds more delay between events
to the same port, effectively slowing down the new hardware to 6050 speeds.
This is labeled 2X Mode and Fast Mode, below.

The following describes the data area used for disabling or enabling the
new functions.  It is recommended that disabling these functions be a last
resort as performance will be degraded.

Note:  If no data area is created for a controller, all functions are
enabled (for example, equivalent to value ('000000')).

Data Area

 1   To create the data area (in this example for CTL01), on the OS/400
     command line type the following:

     CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QSYS/CTL01)  TYPE(*CHAR)  VALUE('FFFFFF')

     where:

                                                        Value('FFFFFF')
                                                               V V V
     Dual Mode:  FF disables, 00 enables 2X mode---------------- | |
     Fast Mode:  FF disables, 00 enables-------------------------- |
     Optimized Mode:  FF disables, 00 enables-----------------------

     Press the Enter key.

     For example, to disable dual mode and optimized mode for CTL01, type
     the following:

     CRTDTAARA  DTAARA(QSYS/CTL01)  TYPE(*CHAR)  VALUE('FF00FF')

     Vary the controller off and back on for the update to take effect.

 2   To update a data area that has already been created for CTLl01, on
     the OS/400 command line type the following:

     CHGDTAARA  DTAARA(QSYS/CTL01)  TYPE(*CHAR)  VALUE('FFFFFF')

     where FFFFFF is the specified value.  Press the Enter key.  Vary the
     controller off and back on for the update to take effect.

 3   To view a data area that has already been created for CTL01, on the
     OS/400 command line type the following:

     DSPDTAARA  DTAARA(QSYS/CTL01)

     Press the Enter key.

     Notes:
     a   Use uppercase FF.  If ff is used and the controller is varied off
     and back on, message CPD0084 is issued:   FFFFFF not valid for
     parameter DTAARA.
     b   For 8 port multiplexor problems use a value of ('FF0000').