We are not running are own DNS. Network Solutions does this for us.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com] On Behalf Of John Ross
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 9:53 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: E-mail Problems

Here is what I do not understand. He said he was sending the mail from
his
ISP's mail server, not the AS400. So he sent it from a PC that did not
know
about the host file on the AS400 to a mail server that did not know
about
the host file on the AS400. So I would like him to take it out and try
it
again, and if it does not work d he puts it back in and it works then
the
MAIL server might be using the host file.

I think a few steps where left out of setting up DNS. You have to let
whoever you registered your domain with of the new IP address for the
DNS.
But I think he already has a someone doing the DNS for him. Also if your
mail server is also the DNS server and your mail server is down the odds
are your DNS  will be also, so having a backup mail server does not do
much
good, unless the records are cached in the DNS of the sender. So you
really
need a secondary DNS if the primary is on your mail server and you have
backup mail server. Also you need to make arrangements to have your mail
server backed up by your ISP.

DNS updates can take awhile to get updated on other DNS if it is in
cache,
which with testing it usually is.

John Ross

At 11:20 PM 6/10/02 +0200, you wrote:
>Justin,
>with all due respect, but this workaround is rubbish ...
>
>A HOST table is for .... HOSTS
>what you entered is a DOMAIN name which has nothing to do
>with the host table at all.
>
>As Jeff already said, the solution is to setup the right DNS settings
>for your site, as I already asked you for the details of this, as far
>as you know about them.
>What is your setup under CFGTCP option 12 (domain settings) ?
>You intend to use mail.reliatek.com as your mailserver's name.
>All you got to do now is to plan your DNS-System, is it the
>AS/400 to be your nameserver ? Take Ops Nav, setup a primary zone
>"reliatek.com." (there is a DOT at the end if this !!!) and add at
least
>your AS/400 system with the name "www" and an alias called "mail"
>for it with the right IP address in that record. After this has been
done
>add an MX record for this domain to point at that host.
>Decide which host (usually the mailserver of your ISP) ist to be the
>backup MX and set that second MX accordingly.
>Example:
>10     MX     mail.reliatek.com
>20     MX     mailer.of-your-isp.com
>
>10 and 20 are simply numbers to setup a priority scheme on the mail
>server systems, if the one with the lowest number (=highest priority)
fails