"James Rich" <james@eaerich.com> wrote in message
Pine.LNX.4.44.0205081345320.6206-100000@orion.hq.dans.com">news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0205081345320.6206-100000@orion.hq.dans.com...
> > The cable internet is through AT&T, the DSL is through QWEST.
> But now that Qwest has merged with MSN you have to specifically request to
> *not* use MSN if you want decent service.  And Qwest may not allow you to
> not use MSN anyway.  If you want vendors with their heads on straight,
> that don't oversell, and that have a clue then don't use MSN.

QWEST hasn't actually merged with MSN ... they are just outsourcing the
support & internet services (mail, news, personal home pages, etc) to MSN.
Also, I think that only applies to residentail service.  I have Qwest small
business service.

> I also use Qwest for DSL and I can vouch that it is very reliable.  We
> have had some outages due to Qwest errors or downtime but they have been
> relatively few (except when Code Red wiped out the DSL modem which seems
> ridiculous to me - what is a DSL modem doing with a web server on it,
> particularly one suceptible to virii?).

I got hit by the same thing, at just about the exact same time I was trying
to get the service up.

The Cisco 678 web interface couldn't actually get infected by code red ...
but it caused a buffer overflow that would lock the modem up.

david