Hi David,

> Based on what you are saying, I would suggest that
> you add triggers to your file that prevent "Pgma does
> very bad things to data". That way you can help them
> deal with the problem in when it occurs.

Triggers can be removed.

And if said data happens to be in:

- user space?
- data area?
- data queue?
- stream file?

My objective was to create a generic error handler with certain logging
capabilities that I could slip into the installed base with little or no
impact on existing applications.

For the most part, it can be done. The only thing that's missing is an
elegant way to obtain the qualified name of the program that sent a message.
For that, I've come up with a kludgy work around: display the job log to an
output file, then match the message by key. Field QMHSLB in record format
QMHPFT contains the sending program's library.

Thanks to all for their helpful suggestions!

John Taylor