Vern & Dave,

CVS does not provide the all of the things that a product
like Aldon, Softlanding, or Arcad provide. CVS is a
source management tool. It is a lot better than nothing,
and since it is free it fits most budgets.

CVS is basically a repository of source and binary images.
You can run it on quite a few platforms, but the iSeries is
not one of them. I run CVS repositories on my PC, as well
as on SourceForge's system. Reliability is not as much of
an issue, because this repository is duplicated to every
developer's box.

To use CVS, you have to build a procedure that will move
source from your iSeries to your CVS repository and back.
I have not been successful in getting a CVS to work with a
repository on an iSeries. It will replicate a repository to an
iSeries.

With the iSeries-toolkit source the repository is on
SourceForge's server. I check out the source contained
in that repository to a drive mapped to the IFS on my
iSeries system. I move any changes to source files
with a shell script. I then use Code/400 as always. When
I am done, I copy the changed members back to the
CVS files contained in my IFS directory. I then commit
those changes to the CVS repository on the SourceForge
system.

I have been working on a native version of Ant for the iSeries.
Ant is very good at processing CVS changes that will run on
the iSeries. I am pretty close, except that I ran into an issue with
RPG compiles -- they won't run in a multi-threaded job. As
soon as I get some time I will correct that. Ant will replace
the shell scripts that I use and should be fairly powerful,
especially when Eclipse provides RPG editing support.

David Morris

>>> DSchopp@imt.net 04/19/02 08:14AM >>>
I too, am interested in this thread.  Looking forward to more...

Dave

"Vernon Hamberg" <vhamberg@attbi.com> wrote in message
5.1.0.14.2.20020418184053.021472e0@127.0.0.1">news:5.1.0.14.2.20020418184053.021472e0@127.0.0.1...
> I'm brand new to this. I've used Aldon's ACMS and SoftLanding's
Turnover.

> How do you check out something from a QCLSRC file?
>
> Are there things like projects that can manage objects together?
>
> Can create commands be saved for objects?
>
> It seems that conflicts are based on contents, not on the fact
someone has
> it checked out. In Aldon, e.g., If a change byone developer does not
> overlap with a change by another, the merge will take place. Aldon
sends a
> conflict message merely because another version exists at some level
of
the