RE: Monitor for existing job.

fixed

I don't particularly like the data area approach, but you could create and
delete the *DTAARA's in QRPLOBJ.  The system does not use this library for
data areas, so there would be no conflict there, and it is implicitly
cleared on any IPL.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                    "Fisher, Don"
                    <Dfisher@roomstoree       To:
"'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    ast.com>                  cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     RE: Monitor for
existing job.
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    04/09/02 01:04 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

I personally don't like using a value in a data area to determine whether a
job is running.  The reason being that jobs can sometimes end without
updating the data area with the "not running" value.

When I have this requirement I have the job allocate the data area with an
exclusive lock.  If it fails, then another copy must be running.

Hope that helps.

Donald R. Fisher, III
Project Manager
The Roomstore Furniture Company
(804) 784-7600 extension 2124
DFisher@roomstoreeast.com

<clip>
If there is a '1' in the data area, it is running, if there is a '0', it
isn't running.
<clip>