I am putting different sets of speculations in different replies.

This here is *YES you are restricted to the number of AS/400 sessions.
You said "somewhere."  I say several places & here are some places to look.

> Apparently, somewhere you are restricted to the number of sessions
>  your AS400 can pull up

WRKCFGSTS *DEV ... this will get you to how many sessions currently are
configured.  If you use F4 you can get a *PRINT of this in list format
similar to many screen prints ... GO CMDDEV - there's a command to print a
chart of the twinax lines & I wish there was a similar map of the VRT
enterprise.

WRKSYSVAL ... there's a value to do with whether virtual sessions can be
added by hackers ... I not remember exactly QAUTOVRT something like that ...
basically if someone can get to your machine but be bumped off due to not yet
having the right password, each time they get bumped off, QAUTOVRT gives them
another session to guess on.  You really want QMAXSIGN to be large enough to
support normal human beings, like whoever uses QSECOFR when you are on
vacation or sick & has forgotten the password & guess again ... you do know
what to do if QSECOFR gets varied off due to not getting it right in a small
enough guesses?

I generally reccommend that at the time we are about to add some new guy to
the network, we allow growth of QAUTOVRT, get the new guy up & running Ok,
then turn off QAUTOVRT growth.

Check GO LICPGM I think it is to find out how many sessions or users your
OS/400 and other licensed software is allowed to have signed on concurrently.

The guy who was on with 16 sessions ... have him use one of them to check
DSPMSG QSYSOPR and DSPMSG QSECOFR and DSPMSG I can't remember fight now if it
is QSYSMSG or QMSGSYS .... If one of these 3 has a message if someone tried
to exceed the number of concurrent sessions or users you are licensed to
have, that is a major clue.  It might even be in DSPLOG or WRKPRB.

If you get on - GO CMDLIC ought to get you to where you can display to *PRINT
a chart of your licenses & how many user sessions authorized for each.