Adam,

Please read the following from the "Software Installation" manual.  If you
do not feel that this helped you estimate your spool file conversion time,
then please fill out the card in the back of the manual and send it in.
When you installed the PTF's and ran the spool file conversion estimator,
how different was the time from the estimator?

>From Appendix D of the Software Installation manual, page 141:
More conversions occur if you are skipping a release level. You need to
consider
the time for conversions in both the release you are skipping and in the
new
release. To estimate the time that conversions will take during your
installation,
you may need to gather information about specific object types on your
system.
The following table lists the object conversion types affected in V5R1M0
and the
system reference codes (SRCs) that refer to the conversions taking place.
Table 24. System Reference Codes for Object Conversions
Conversion type                   System reference code
Database cross-reference files    C900 2950
Spooled files                     C900 29B0
User profiles                     C600 4055
Directory files                   C900 2AAC

>From Appendix D of the Software Installation manual, page 144:
Spooled-File Conversions
In Version 5, spooled files on the system are being converted to increase
the
limitation on the number of files per job and also to allow for future
growth of the
spooled files and their attributes. Depending on the number of jobs and
output
queues you currently have on your server and also the type of hardware that
you
have, the installation for this release could take longer than in previous
releases.
To find out how much time will be needed for spooled-file conversion,
install
Installation Estimation PTFs for V4R4M0 and V4R5M0 Software, SK37-4105.
Directions
for installing these PTFs are in the iSeries Information Center: System
planning
and installation ?> Hardware and software ?> Software and licensed programs
?> Prepare for software installation ?> Ordering and applying program
temporary fixes ?> Installing the installation PFFs to upgrade. The cover
letter
for these PTFs and all other PTFs is on the iSeries and AS/400 Technical
Support
Web site:
http://as400service.ibm.com/
In the navigation bar, click Fixes and Updates. Then in the right frame,
click PTF
Cover Letters Database.
A week or so before you install the next release, run the QSPESTMT program
that
is included in the installation estimation PTF. Do this when your server is
in a
restricted state and is not busy. The estimates are placed into the
QESTIMATE
spooled file. Include this time estimate in step 4 under "Checklist for
Estimating
Installation Time" on page 128.

Benjamin Franklin

                    Adam_Driver@kaz.com
                    .au                       To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Fax to:
                    drange.com                Subject:     Re: V4R4 to V5R1

                    03/17/2002 09:47 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

I did a V4R4 to V5R1 upgrade two weeks ago, no problems at all. The only
thing was we had a lot of spool files and the first IPL straight after the
OS install took 4.5 hours just doing spool initialisation, which in my
opinion was not properly documented in the memo to users. I believe the
same issue would occur with V4R5 to V5R1 as well though. We're also a BP
and plan on a V4R4 to V5R1 direct upgrade for a further dozen or customer
machines.

Thanks

Adam Driver
Technical Consultant
Kaz Computer Services
Level 7, 66 Wentworth Ave
Surry Hills, Sydney    NSW   2010
Phone : + 61 2 9844 0386
www.kaz.com.au

Message: 7
Subject: Re: V4R4 to V5R1
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
From: PWeyer@compures.com
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:22:28 -0600

<snip>
I have a client that is being told by another BP that they don't recommend
going from V4R4 directly to V5R1, "there are issues" and they are
suggesting upgrade to v4r5 then to v5r1.
<end snip>

I work for an IBM premier business partner and have done several V4R4 to
V5R1 upgrades without any hitches.  There is no good reason to not perform
this upgrade.

Paul R. Weyer
Senior Solutions Architect
Computech Resources, Inc.