On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Reeve Fritchman wrote:

> I'm converting a customer from Unix and we're investigating workstation
> options for local and remote locations (remotes will probably use DSL
> connections).  PC's are cheap but run Winblows (we're not suggesting Linux
> at this time); thin clients are an option as well.  My only requirement is
> 132-column support.

Well since you are converting them from unix take advantage of the systems
they already have installed.  They are probably already used to unix so
keep their unix server in place.  Get thin clients that are X terminals.
Install tn5250 on the unix server.  You get the ease of remote
administration on both the as/400 and unix server and you won't have any
client to configure (after initial installation).  Whether the unix server
runs linux or solaris or whatever it doesn't really matter.

Once you have that going put Star Office on the unix server, mozilla, etc.
and instantly give all the clients desktop tools without desktop
headaches.

BTW this to me is the best possible setup for ease of configuration,
minimal downtime, minimal cost, and highest reliability.  You take
advantage of what each machine is good at:  iSeries - database and related
apps, unix - "login server" meaning thousands of people simultaneously
logged in and using the system, X Windows - remote display of client
programs, thin client X terminals - easy to set up and highly reliable.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com