RE: New iSeries Purchases ? Yes please...

fixed

Absolutely.  I sell my transportation/logistics software applications and
displace nasty Unix and FilePro hodge-podge systems on a regular basis (the
"regularity" is there; I'm working on my sales guys to do better in the
"frequency" department).  The application is highly specific to
less-than-truckload carriers, truckload carriers, and intermodal marketing
companies; that's the primary factor in getting people in the door.  Unix
and FP systems can't do what the iSeries does, among them handle subfiles,
multiple format LF's, and a complex work management environment.  One more
thing the iSeries does the others don't: it runs, without interruption, for
months.

I look at my customers' job schedules and see "index rebuilds", "reboots",
and "purges" (because their file systems can't handle large record counts).
I convert their files and see shit (sorry if I've offended, but that's
exactly what it is: hex nonsense).  An application change is feared.  A
report writer job sucks the life out of the system.  I see things you just
never see in the iSeries environment.  Of course, the Unix/FP crowd doesn't
have to deal with CFINT, a bewildering ordering process, and deep concerns
that the product will (present tense?) languish, if not vanish.

No, we don't always win when in a competitive situation.  Some IT guys are
more concerned with their career path and have Microsoft-on-the-brain; some
CFO's think they're programmers, some CEO's don't want to spend the money,
and sometimes customers like the other guys more.  C'est la vie.

If you're serious about writing ERP software and you're not doing it on the
iSeries, you can't be serious!

Sorry I keep it bottled up inside...just my $.02 USD/$.03 CAD.

YITB,
Reeve