While CPW may be arbitrary it's a lot more meaningful then MIPS for the kind
of work done on an AS/400. MIPS and Mhz are measurements for a computing
environment where chip speed is important, but most (all?) AS/400s aren't
involved in compute intensive operations but rather IO intensive operations.
The entire machine is architected for IO performance, just look at the
concept of an IOP. Which would you rather have in an AS/400 environment:

1) A 2 Ghz Chip with 1 Disk IOP and 4 100Gig drives (With RAID that's
300Gig)

Or

2) A 266 Mhz chip with 4 Disk IOPs and 20 16 Gig Drives (With RAID that's
304Gig)

We move data all day long, we don't compute the orbit of the space shuttle
so IO is more important than MIPS.

HOWEVER, for those that want the high Mhz chips we'll get the Regatta chips
in an AS/400 2H02. They should be ~2Ghz chips at that point.

-Walden

PS. CPW isn't actually arbitrary. Isn't it based on a CPW of 1 being a B10?

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software
(516)627-3800 x11