Bill - inline...

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 21:31, bill.reger@convergys.com wrote:
> We are looking to license our software with expiration dates and the like,
> and therefore, I have begun to look through the Software Product APIs
> manual.  Talk about having a headache!  Can someone give me a brief
> overview of what APIs I need to use and which I don't?
>
> I am fairly sure I need to work with these APIs (but please correct me if
> I'm wrong!):
>
> Create Product Definition (ASZCRTPD) API
>           (to create the *PRDDFN object that I must include with my
> software)
> Generate License Key (QLZAGENK) API
>           (to generate the license keys that my customers need to know to
> use/install the software)
> Retrieve License Key Information (QLZARTVK) API
>           (to retrieve license key information in the software to verify if
> expiration date has passed)

yes, yes and yes plus the others... crtlod, chgobj, package, addkey etc

> Do I need to use the Package Product Option (QSZPKGPO) API to create my
> software deliverable?

yes

> Or can I just use the normal deliverable creation I
> have always used (save files to CD/Tape) and include the *PRDDFN object in
> my deliverable?

no, it has to be restored as a licpgm.

>What about National Language support?  How is this done?

you can ignore this unless your app really does have different language
objects... wrap everything as code feature

> Must I use the PTF APIs to issue fixes?

no. ptfs do offer some nice features though (such as exit programs, backing
out, pre-requisites)

> I realize I'm babbling here.  There are a load of APIs in this manual (more
> than 25!), but I don't want to spend my whole (working) life to get all
> this going.  I can (and already have) written code to generate my own keys
> based on my own imagination.  But these APIs are certainly more foolproof
> if I can understand them and justify the time.

my advice - start small by using a CL pgm to make single object packages,
make them on one machine and restore them on another, have plenty of time to
experiment until you find the right combination of parameters...

have fun :)

Brendan