Dan,

If you are doing this via green screen I don't see much of a need for screen
scraping per se.

If you are -not- using DDS green screen, go ahead and hit delete now :)

If you want to know that they pressed the function key at the customer number
location you can add something like this to the DDS: (we use this for F4 style
of field level pop up)

      A                                      RTNCSRLOC(&CSRREC &CSRFLD)
      A            CSRREC        10A  H      (current record
name)
      A            CSRFLD        10A  H      (current field
name)

If it is a subfile that shows a list of customers, add this to your program:
(not column correct ... we use this for a point and select functions)

      F* -----------------------------------------------------------------*
      FXXXXXXXXCF  E                    WORKSTN
      F                                              KINFDS $INFDS

      I*
      I$INFDS
DS
      I                                    B 282 2830WSROW$           CURSOR ROW
      I                                    B 284 2850WSCOL$           CURSOR
COLUMN

      C           WSROW$    IFGE 09                    SFL SCREEN START ROW
      C           WSROW$    ANDLE21                    SFL SCREEN BOTTOM ROW
      C* Determine which subfile entry the cursor was at when Fkey pressed
      C           WSROW$    SUB  09        WRK040  40  SFL OFFSET FROM TOP OF
PAGE
      C           WSTOP#    ADD  WRK040    WSSFL#      WSTOP#=SFL REC# AT TOP OF
PAGE
      C* Determine the customer number / order number selected for
processing
      C           WSSFL#    CHAINSUBFILE               WSSFL#=SFL REC# CURSOR AT

                        (call your program here)

      C                     ENDIF

You don't say if management wants to do this mail merge in real time (letter on
demand) or if a batch process is to follow.  Batch is simple, output to a file,
FTP the file to your PC and import it into WORD.  Come to think of it, you could
probably do the same thing for a demand process.  Can't talk about execution
speed though.  Would need an FTP server running on your PC I think.

Hope I didn't totally miss the boat as to the nature of your request.