----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Raulerson" <praulerson@hot.rr.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2001 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: Rochester's changing focus/CICS-CCP/iSeries

> Won't happen - but the merging of the product lines will be
rough indeed.

> BTW: Modern CICS is much easier to code, in assembler, COBOL, or
even Fortran,
> than the original "macro" level CICS stuff was. It also leads
very quickly to good program
> design and segmentation. The AS/400 gets around a lot of that
with display formats and
> external file definitions and so forth.
>
> -Paul

I haven't coded for CICS, but I've heard it was like the old
Burroughs mainframe coding - one program invocation would speak to
all 100 or 500 terminals, on a transaction basis. Stateless
transactions (like on the web) and you have to keep track of all
the user states yourself - you are talking to all of them on the
same program thread.

The 400 programming model is that the program is talking to one
terminal on a single thread, making the logic much simpler.

(Somebody beat me and call me names if I am wrong.)