Brad,

Thank you, so much, for your response...!  See comments inline...

jt

<snip>

> The conversation about this on this list has got me thinking also.
> Why not have a tool the replaces the 5250 screen processing with a
> web interface? They are both transaction oriented.

Exactly...!

> I can write the web side, and it will be very fast and solid. Run
> it on the INS (now I think called Integrated X Server) for even
> more speed.
>
> (We once created a SCSI download system for the PC to emulate a
> tape drive to the 2621 - worlds fastest AS/400 download system.
> Still works).

You're way beyond me then...!

> > I told IBM, just about a year ago, that I was not actively
> pursuing it
> > because I recognized the need for green-screen customers to
> subsidize
> > lower-cost models, to keep the iSeries competitive.  About 6
> months ago, I
> > told them the situation had changed, and I decided to develop
> such a
> > product.  That is my intention.  You may see some results early
> next year...
> > or you may not.  If there is little hope of this being
> accomplished, I'll
> > post my findings and other's can pursue it if they want.  But
> first, I'm
> > going to take a shot at making some money off the idea.
>
> Again, we would like to partner on this if you are looking for a
> PC-side partner. We use the IIS/ASP environment with VB6 compiled
> DLLs - extremely fast. We write down to the sockets level. Weve
> learned how to create and test compiled DLLs in the interactive VB
> environment with ASp - kids don't try this at home. Fast
> development process.

I'd be interested in discussing this further, IN PRIVATE, off-list.  Who is
"we"...  Do you own LaserVault...?

I saw Nathan's remark about mixed-system headaches.  I agree, and mean no
offense:  You'd have to see some TREMENDOUS performance advantages, IMV, to
make it worth the trouble of going through IIS.  Have you investigated
DHTML...?  Just done a little reading myself, by .HTA seems to be the way to
go from what little I know.

> The Holy Grail would be to create a system that didn't require an
> AS/400 side compile. (I don't think that is possible, but I can
> hope for it.)

Is there a disadvantage to a 38/400/i-side compile, that I'm not seeing...?

> I've written terminal emulators on the PC side, I understand what
> is involved.

In VB? or C? (Again, you're way beyond me then...!)

> Think of it - instant conversion of a green screen app to a
> web-based ap.

Not a bad idea at all...!  But, at the same time, I see some outstanding
performance advantages, and system-design simplification, to a one-time
compile step on the host.

> > So if I, or someone else, develops a tool that gains widespread
> usage to
> > eliminate the interactive "tax", what are the implications?
> IMV, there are
> > several things which may, or may not, happen:
> >
> > a) IBM can choose to implement the governor on any tools they
> want
> > b) The market will have to be prepared to pay more for software,
> support,
> > and services
> > c) The iSeries will go under, but bought by a "white knight"
> > d) There will be a gradual shift, where increased sales volume
> makes up for
> > lost revenue
> > e) The iSeries will be combined with the pSeries to make a
> "super-server"
> > f) The iSeries will follow the path of the S/36
> > g) The iNation will save the day
> > h) Other
>
> I have to think the I-series is extremely profitable for IBM, and
> that it will continue to be. Don't worry, they can take care of
> themselves, and will.

Maybe I worry too much...;-)

> And if every green screen app becomes a web-based app overnight,
> this will hurt IBM how?

I see that Chris and Don have identified the crux of the matter.  If IBM or
some software eliminates the interactive tax, where is IBM's revenue gonna
come from...?  See my reply to that thread, upcoming...

Thanks again, Brad.  If you're interested in discussing partnering, keep in
mind that as soon as the project grows from one person to more than one, you
have two opposite effects:  synergy and negative synergy.  By negative
synergy, I mean that you lose a certain amount of efficiency, and
inter-personal issues can drain the project dry.  I worked with Joe Pluta
and Rob Dixon, for a couple weeks on a similar project.  We developed the
www.i-a-i-c.org site.  I looked for a schematic of something similar to what
I'm working on now, on the "Recent Discussion", but I think the site is set
up to only display the last 50 or so posts.  It may still be available.
Anyhoo...  that collaboration didn't last for a number of reasons, but
primarily because of inter-personal issues.

RANT(*ON)
Developing the technology is not the problem.  Developing the support
structure to make it worth something is the problem.  Please don't tell me
about OSS...  that was the step those @#$*! forgot about, and are still
attempting to add on as an afterthought.  OSS is "pay nothing, there IS such
a thing as a free lunch.. and there's plenty of support as well".  The
support is far more apparent than real...  IMV.

Not to mention a lot of OSS is under the dictatorship of one individual,
(for example, a Torvalds), has one primary spokeman (ESR), is based on the
philosophy of a de-facto Communist (RMS) and doesn't have (IMNSHO) a
sustainable business model.  Minor details, all, I'm sure...;-)
RANT(*OFF)

OSS development certainly DOES have a world-wide following, including many
at IBM, so who am I to say...?

Thanks again, Brad.  Let me know...:-)