Re: Tagged memory (was Re: Memory Upgrade)

fixed

From: <thomas@inorbit.com>
However, I can't totally accept your second point for a couple reasons which
I'd gladly abandon if you can elaborate on what you wrote. First, the
'tagged' memory is a hardware fact; the tag bits physically exist. They might
be manipulated by software, I can't ultimately prove or disprove that though
I don't doubt it nor would I argue that you can't do it; but 'tags active' is
a PPC processor mode and that mode affects instruction execution related to
those bits.

===> true enough, but the pointer protection is pure software. My (small)
point
was just that the much hyped AS/400 security is a software function (and as
such can be easily circumvented). The old CISC system was much safer
in this respect as the protection was much closer to the hardware.