From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Phil
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 2:40 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Creating Reports?

Nathan,

It's **not** the only language, though, so I can't say!  I can say that I
won't use PC reporting tools today.  Simply don't need to, and don't want to
add more complexity to the environment.

It shouldn't matter what I use (to the user).  All that the user should care
about is the quality of the data.

I find it interesting to read the posts where the users know the database,
apparently know how to do joins (even updates!), layout the report, and have
complete faith that the data returned is accurate.  That hasn't been my
experience with even the most knowledgeable user.  I've found that all but
the simplest query (no more that two tables) will take a user a long time,
and a lot of my time to explain and support that it is quicker in the short
run to write a report pgm in rpg.  And in the long run the decisions made
based on the data are better because the data is accurate, and the data is
consistent. (Well, at least the reason for a bad decision won't be incorrect
data!)

Besides, these users have a job to do and it isn't developing reports.  I
envision 20 employees each with their own report programs that they created
on their own but which return the same data (hopefully).  This is what
happens when you give users access to Query/400.

Phil