> We are looking to outsource some of this work by standardising an
> interface, say to Doc One.  We are a software company, and find that the
> clients are never really done tinkering with their statements.  Move this
> left, make this smaller, put that logo there.  It's not hard
> work, but it is
> tedious and low profit.  If we can move that workload to the
> client, they'll
> be happier with the turnaround, and the perception that we take forever to
> get a change done will fade away.
>
> One of the unpleasant truths about statements is that the client doesn't
> really know what they want, but they can clearly recognise that we haven't
> delivered it yet.  Giving them the flexibility to change the statements
> themselves will let them tinker as often as they want.

Buck,

I know this is true!

You don't worry about losing business in the long run when you hand off a
very visible piece to an unrelated company?  I often hear negative opinions
voiced about many things that really have nothing to do with what the
problem is.  But it's the perception.  So if you get another company to
handle reports, and then for whatever reason the users aren't happy they
associate the reports with your application rather than where the fault
truly lies.  And when you defend yourself all you can do is point fingers
which is a bad thing also.

This is probably an age old judgement call decision with no right answer!

Phil