This one is simple.
Save command does its front-end processing in a job, but real work is done
by LDxxxx task in a background.
Job stays in EVTW waiting a report from LDxxxx task.
This task has prioirity one less (numerically one more than your job).
Now if you have other jobs in a loop with a priority higher than LDxxxx
task, it will never have a chance to run.
If you turn dynamic priority scheduler on, this will not happen, because
looping jobs will get their priority lowered, and LDxxxx task will have its
priority bumped with a result that it will eventually run and do its job.
This is an excellent illustration why dynamic scheduler was introduced!

    Alexei Pytel

"The better is the worst enemy of the good"

                    "Leif Svalgaard"
                    <leif@leif.org>           To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     Re: Timeslices
                    drange.com

                    08/30/2001 10:51 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

From: Alexei Pytel <pytel@us.ibm.com>
> It might happen because of dynamic priority scheduler.

The DYNSCD is now turned off. I have three jobs looping (ALOOP).
Every second they show a screen (with no wait) and YIELD their timeslice.
Job 0007 is trying to save an object to a save file that already exists,
and I had to type "G" to tell it to Go ahead. After that, the save is stuck
in an EVTW. Job 0001 is sitting on a DSPW. I can interact with that
screen with no wait at all. (This is on V4R5).

     QBASE          QSYS        SBS      .0                   DEQW
       DSP02        LSVALGAARD  INT     1.1  CMD-WRKACTJOB    RUN
       QPADEV0001   LSVALGAARD  INT      .0  CMD-LSEXPLR      DSPW
       QPADEV0002   LSVALGAARD  INT     7.2  PGM-ALOOP        RUN
       QPADEV0003   LSVALGAARD  INT     8.6  PGM-ALOOP        RUN
       QPADEV0005   LSVALGAARD  INT     7.3  PGM-ALOOP        RUN
       QPADEV0007   LSVALGAARD  INT      .0  CMD-SAVOBJ       EVTW
       QSYSSCD      QPGMR       BCH      .0  PGM-QEZSCNEP     EVTW

If I "hold" jobs 0002, 0003, and 0005, the save finishes. But why was the
job stuck on the EVTW?