Good grief, enough of the pissing wars already!

FWIW, one or more of the AS/400 trade rag email newsletters reports this
every year.  IBM has received more patents than any other entity.

Sorry I didn't keep a copy of that newsletter for proof.  Is this really
a topic we need to hear fighting about on this list?  I didn't think so.

O.K., found an old article dated March 1995 in the AS400 Network:
IBM Ranks First Again in U.S. Patents Awarded
For the second year in a row, IBM has ranked first in the number of
patents awarded by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. In 1994, IBM
received 1,298 U.S. patents -- 199 more than second-place Canon KK. The
IBM patents were almost exclusively in the field of information
processing, and IBM continued to lead in patenting software-related
inventions. Among the key patents granted were those for a method of
encrypting and decrypting various software products on a CD-ROM,
processes for the transmission of multimedia data over a network, and a
technique for producing a high- quality, improved semiconductor
material, silicon-germanium, that will allow the production of
"superfast" transistors.

So, yes, this was awhile ago, but I know I've seen this type of news
regularly over the past several years.

A more generic search on AS400 Network turned up:
FEBRUARY 02, 2001 - We know IBM earned more than 2,500 U.S. patents last
year, ...

Sharon Hoffman reported:

On January 11, 2000, IFI Claims Patent Services, which compiles a patent
database, reported that IBM had been awarded more U.S. patents than any
other company in 1999. This is the seventh consecutive year that IBM led
the patent race. More than 900 of IBM's 2,756 patents for 1999 are
software-related.

Can we please end this particular "patent" thread?  Please.

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952