Joe,

I agree with you if you're talking about single record key positioning, but
READE/SETLL/OPNQRYF imply (to me) set based processing. SQL can often
outperform native access for sets. Of course, OPNQRYF itself uses the same
underlying SQL support, so I wouldn't have included it in the same family as
the native opcodes.

Here is a link to an interesting read about indexing in DB2/400, if you're
interested in nitty-gritty details:

http://www.iseries.ibm.com/developer/bi/documents/strategy/strategy.pdf

John Taylor