Paul,

I would rather not resort to the *IBMSNMPDRV as it is limit to the first port
and
wants the other two to remain unused.

Dan,

The INACTTMR(*SEC15) was already in place. We don't have Jetadmin as HP has
discontinued it in favor of Telnet and HTML administration. However I did
change the
idle to 3500 and couldn't find another timeout to change to 2 minutes 30
seconds.

I still get the:

Message ID . . . . . . :   CPA403D       Severity . . . . . . . :   99
Message type . . . . . :   Inquiry
Date sent  . . . . . . :   08/16/01      Time sent  . . . . . . :   15:01:02

Message . . . . :   Operator action required on device WDPR10971B (C R).
Cause . . . . . :   An error was detected on device WDPR10971B.  Look at the
  printer to determine the cause of the problem.
Recovery  . . . :   Do one of the following and try the request again.
Possible choices for replying to message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
  C -- Enter C to cancel the writer.
  R -- Enter R to continue printing the file after the problem at the printer
    has been corrected.
Technical description . . . . . . . . :   For more information, see your
  printer's operator guide.

                                                                        Bottom
Reply  . . . :   R
Press Enter to continue.

after a short time.

Thanks.

Roger Vicker, CCP

dturk@upt.com wrote:

> roger,
>
> the problem may be with the timeouts in the jetdirect config.  try this:
>
> in jetadmin, go into modify and change the tcp/ip idle timeout to 3500, then
>go
> into properties for the printer and under the advanced tab, hit the setup
>button
> and change the timeout to end a print job to 2 minutes, 30 seconds.
>
> also, on the device config change the inactivity timer (INACTTMR) to *SEC15.
>
> hope this helps
>
> dan turkeltaub
> technology manager
> keeney manufacturing
> dturk@upt.com
>
> "Paul Tykodi" <paul@intermate-us.com> on 08/16/2001 10:21:58 AM
>
> Please respond to midrange-l@midrange.com
>
> To:   midrange-l@midrange.com
> cc:   rvicker@vicker.com (bcc: Dan Turkeltaub/UPT)
>
> Subject:  Re: Getting a HP Jetdirect to work through routers
>
> Hi Roger,
>
> >From your description of the problem (LPR works - PJL Driver does not), I
> can make a guess that the problem with the PJL driver is that the requested
> reponses from the printer are not making it back from the remote printer
> through the network to the IBM host. When this occurs, OS/400 based *LAN
> printer device descriptions using the PJL driver will hang and no data is
> printed.
>
> If you are running V4R5 or V5R1, you can change the IBM System Driver
> Program value from its current setting SYSDRVPGM(*HPPJLDRV)to
> SYSDRVPGM(*IBMSNMPDRV). The use of Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
> to manage a printer is outlined in RFC 1759 and is fully TCP/IP compliant.
> There is a much better chance that required SNMP responses will be able to
> negotiate the routers and be returned to the IBM host than the PJL
> OS/400 starting at V4R5. It has been made available via PTF to V4R4 and V4R3
> users as well. The required PTF's are documented in the Software Knowledge
> Base (under the category Print) on the web site
> http://www.as400service.ibm.com.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> /Paul
> --
> Paul Tykodi
> Director of Technical Services
> LCI-Intermate US, Inc.
>
> p: 603.431.0606 x115
> f: 603.436.6432
> paul@intermate-us.com
> www.intermate.com
>
> >Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:37:09 -0500
> >From: "Roger Vicker, CCP" <rvicker@vicker.com>
> >To: midrange-l@midrange.com
> >Subject: Re: Getting a HP Jetdirect to work through routers
> >
> >Paul,
> >
> >The *DFTROUTE is 10.0.0.254 since that is the router that is on the same
> lan as
> >the AS/400. The 10.2.0.254 router is on the remote lan as seen from the
> AS/400
> >end of things.
> >
> >Alistair,

> [...]

Two terms for congressmen:  One in office, one in jail.