STRDSKRGZIBM Support Line Technical Document
 Document Information

Document Title:
Defragmenting DASD Can Improve Performance on a System That Has
Fragmentation

Document Description:

The defragment command is STRDSKRGZ.

How often should STRDSKRGZ be run?

The command needs to be run when message CPI0997, reason code 1 is issued to
the system operator's message queue.

The Start Disk Reorganization (STRDSKRGZ) command does not have to be run in
restricted state. The reorganization is handled as a task by SLIC that runs
as a low-level background type of job. It will perform the reorganizations
of the specified ASPs as time is available. A message CPI1470 is sent to
QHST to log the starting of the reorganization for each ASP to be
reorganized. The following is the full text of that message:

Message . . . . :   Disk reorganization successfully started for ASP &1.
Cause . . . . . :   Disk reorganization has been successfully started for
ASP
  &1.  It will run until the time limit has expired, the ASP has been
  completely reorganized, or the function is stopped by the user.

Message CPI1473 is issued to note that all reorganizations have been
started. Following is the full text of that message:

Message . . . . :   Disk reorganization started for all configured ASPs
Cause . . . . . :   Disk reorganization has been started for all ASPs
 configured on the system. It will run until the time limit has expired, the
 ASP has been completely reorganized, or the function is stopped by the
user.

A message CPI1472 will be sent to QHST reporting the completion of the
reorganization for each affected ASP. Following is the full text of that
message:

 Message . . . . :   Disk reorganization for ASP &1 ended.
Cause . . . . . :   The disk reorganization function for ASP &1 has been
  ended.  The function had ending code &2. The ending codes and their
meanings
  are as follows:
    1 - The ASP is completely reorganized.
    2 - The time specified for reorganization has expired.
    3 - The user requested that reorganization be ended.
    4 - The reorganization  function could not be started.
    5 - The reorganization function cannot be started on an ASP that
consists of only one unit.
    6 - The reorganization function ended unexpectedly.

Additional messages that can be generated by attempting a STRDSKRGZ
operation are CPF1888, CPF1889, and CPF1891.

Additional Keywords: Defrag MSGCPI0997 MSGCPI1470 MSGCPI1472 MSGCPI1473