    Steve,

        Boy this is a whole a different issue than I saw on yesterdays post.
If I am now reading this correctly there is a setup routine that is
executing in the CA install early enough in the process that it is not SSL
aware.  From your experience it is running once and only once, per system ?

        So my first question, would be are you comfortable enough with the
Daemon handling this initialization request that you would allow it to
except connections if the port is secure or even unsecure ?  What's in the
conversation anyway ?  The users actual password, or a dummy user that is
only usable for CA installation, with very limited access, or is it in the
form of a system management MIB just exchanging only some connectivity data
??

        My second question, are you sure this link is not used to allow you
distribute updates, and ptf's to the individual system ?  Or are you
disabling this feature so it does not matter ?

        My third question, is this connection only to the Managing system,
or once to each "host" system (IP Address) you connect with ?

        Based on the answers, which I readily admit I do not have.  You
might look at configuring a secondary  IP for the system that will only
accept  connections on port 8476.  Either through IP Filter rules and/or
Firewall NAT mapping to a private IP.   Then if the daemon is trusted and
the password if used is only valid for this process you should tight ?

        On the other hand, I like using GHOST to build a system that has
already been setup, or adding the registry fix as both seem cleaner, except
that you may have more help desks calls when the connections failure ??

Jeffrey M. Silberberg
Independent Consultant
CompuDesigns, Inc.

AS SOON AS I KNOW THE ANSWERS