  • Subject: Re: Is AS/400 is dead ? You control the answer to that question!
  • From: jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 16:44:11 -0400

>>    - If ANYONE FROM IBM IS LISTENING ... PLEASE MOVE MONEY INTO THE
>> MARKETING BUDGET ... EVEN AT THE EXPENSE OF NEW SOFTWARE FEATURES!!!
>>John Myers

>Business looks to solve business needs. If you have a solution for those
>needs, then buyers might be interested. It astounds me that people think
>execs and directors are sitting around a table somewhere saying, "People,
we
>need a new computing platform!"
>
>They might be saying, "We need a more reliable web site." or "We need to
be
>able to tie our existing operations to the new e-business operations we
are
>developing." or plain old "we need a way of getting the general ledger
info
>from the company we just bought onto the desktops of the execs responsible
>for managing it."
>
>So, you'd spend $10 million to put coupons on soda cans? I hear that works
>good for advertising. And some soda drinker somewhere would suddenly say,
>"Man, I can get $5 off my next AS/400 so I'll run out and buy one!"
>Chris Rehm
>javadisciple@earthlink.net
>If you believe that the best technology wins the
>marketplace, you haven't been paying attention.

Chris

Calm down.   You are saying the same thing in posts past as John was trying
to point out.  It might have just hit you wrong this time.

Look at your tag line Chris,  You are acknowledging what John was trying to
say.

That the Best Technology doesn't always win.   What does?  not OS/2  it's
Winxxx

Why?  Well John was just giving his thoughts as to what WE could do and
what he thought IBM could do.   He was just saying "Ok if Technology
doesn't always win,  Lets spend SOME of the money on what will help win,
instead of ALL of it on Technology"

I think you are both in the same court,

John Carr