  • Subject: Re: Is AS/400 is dead ? You control the answer to that question!
  • From: thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 6 Aug 2001 19:53:22 -0700

John:

On Mon, 06 August 2001, John Myers - MM wrote:

> At 09:17 PM 8/3/01, you wrote:
>
> > > AS/400.  Everyone else in the population either doesn't have a Master's
> > > degree
> >
> >So they should drop the Master's requirement.
> >
> >The Master's should be needed by someone who heads up the course
> >collection (I'd call it "department head" or similar, but I doubt the
> >AS/400 course collection fits as a "department"). But individual courses
> >or sections or whatever certainly shouldn't be that restricted.
>
> Tom,
>
> They might waive the Master's requirement for this position, however ...
>
> What you must understand is that the "ranking" criteria for colleges is
> VERY closely tied to the ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS of their staff.  % of
> instructors with PHD or terminal degree in the field is a key ranking
> criteria.  % with master's degrees is next.  This ranking is life & death
> at the college level!!!
>
> There are a ton of candidates with higher degrees in the other
> architectures ... quite frankly, one of the greatest strengths of the
> AS/400 is that you DON'T have to have a graduate degree to be a successful
> AS/400 user!  It is a different world than the one that the rest of us live
> in!  That's the difference between a university / college and a "technical
> school".  Many AS/400 developers have come up through the technical school
> route.  The trouble is that the local technical schools have abandoned
> their AS/400 curriculum!!!
>
> Without new entrants to replace those of us that are nearing retirement,
> the AS/400 will die ...

After 6 years with the Department of Education supporting Teacher
Certification, I got a feeling for such requirements. I also got a feeling for
what they're worth!

I know what you're saying. But I still feel the same and I suspect others do
also. And it's unfortunate that your final conclusion has validity. I don't
like it, but there's no path around it that's likely to be taken. At least I
sure don't know of one.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta