  • Subject: Re: Enough grunt for v4r5?
  • From: Douglas Handy <dhandy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:10:44 -0400

Matthias,

>The machine is a 9402 400 with processor feature 2131.

As you know, the 400-2131 does not have interactive feature codes, nor does it
have a CFINT govenor.  It simply has one rating: 20.6 CPW whether batch or
interactive.

I have a somewhat comparable machine, a 40S-2109 with 160MB and twelve 6606
drives (MFIOP mirrored, 7117 expansion in RAID set).  But my machine is rated at
27 CPW batch and 9 CPW interactive.

I only ran V4R3 as a stepping stone from V3R7 to V4R5, so can't really compare
V4R3 to V4R5 directly.  But in my case, V3R7 to V4R5 did not make a noticeable
impact in response time.  But each time I have added memory, I have seen a
noticeable improvement.  I was at 160MB while still on V3R7 though.

I thought I mismembered the 400-213x models only took 160 MB maximum, but
checked the sales manual and that is only the 2130.  The 2131-2133 can take
224MB.  You can get 160MB two different ways: the base 32MB plus two 3110's
(64MB each) leaving an empty memory slot, or by three 32MB cards plus one 3110.

If you have the latter case, you'll need to remove two 3182's and replace them
with 3110's.  If the former case, you can just add another 3110.  Use DSPHDWRSC
TYPE(*PRC) to find out what memory cards are installed now.

With a 400-2131 you are already at P10, so another option would be to also look
for a 2133 processor to swap into the system.  These may be pretty cheap on the
used market, and would boost your CPW to 35.0.

>My question: if we go to v4r5 do I have to expect diminished
>performance? Greatly diminished performance?

In my case it wasn't noticeable, but my box is used for development not
production.  So it isn't necessarily a good indicator.

>If I was to upgrade the RAM to the maximum the box can take (I think
>about 224MB) would this make a big difference?

Memory upgrades always made a very noticeable difference on my machine, although
I stopped at 160MB just because that is what I had found cheap on eBay.

Doug