  • Subject: RE: HTML formatted email
  • From: "Boling, David E." <bolingde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:14:18 -0400

> there's zero reason to use HTML and good reason to avoid it

Opinion stated as fact! I would usually rather receive a screen shot, then
text that has been cut and pasted and is now unreadable because it ended up
on one line or some other weird formatting error.  A picture is still worth
a thousand words whether it's a network diagram, a computer (as/400) part,
printable form or flowcharts, etc.  Even color text, underlining and bold
can be a reading aid if used correctly.  It's true that most of the AS/400
world is still text based and as such can be described with text, that
however is changing with more GUI programs and tools.  I personally would
rather be shown a pic of a Ops Nav (or other GUI) item than be told the text
instructions on how to find things.

>I'm using Netscape 6.1 Preview Release 1 right now, hardly an incompetent
browser;

Debatable, I moved from Netscape products totally after having used 6.1 for
a short period.

> argues that while we all might be programmers, we aren't all
knowledgeable.

Those two words are not synonymous, but didn't say "aren't knowledgeable". I
said (in poor spelling I see) "technology adverse" which is different.

>to send a pretty picture on fancy stationery to impress Miss Jones in
Accounting.

Sexist, stereotype. I use to think the only reasons clients wanted pc's were
to play games also.

> HTML is a problem and will remain so for some time to come even if the
charter
 and/or moderator states otherwise.

Wouldn't it be "ignoring etiquette not to mention established guidelines"
NOT to use HTML email if the charter and moderator states otherwise?
Computers in general (Ethernet and the Internet specifically) are problems,
but have made a small niche for themselves.  I can't think of any
advancement in mankind that didn't have problems.

I think the list is great and I receive valuable information from it all the
time, even with it's text limitations.  After all it's the information that
counts not NECESSARILY (in all cases) the format of the message.  All things
being equal would I use a HTML list more then a text only list?  Yes, I
would rather not to have to worry about being politically incorrect and
someone getting mad because I sent a HTML formatted message.

I understand about non-html mail users, problems with digest, non-html
capable list servers, formatting and security issues, but I don't see these
as insurmountable.  Neither do I see the problem in members stating opinions
(I've read enough) or questioning the status quo.  I've been using
Systemxx's and as/400's for 20 years (as I'm sure several others have) and
yes, technology doesn't move as fast in this arena as others, but all lists
(and all email as well) will be HTML (or what ever is newer) formatted one
day.  Most people have the common sense to use HTML without hurting
themselves or others.

David Boling (bolingde@co.rowan.nc.us)
Information Systems Director
Rowan County Information Systems Department