John,
    The discussion was not "OS-X vs OS-Y." What I thought we were discussing
was the willingness of people to install a solution that is not best for the
customer simply because that is the solution they are familiar with and thus
have income potential from that.
    When I noted that NT was not as robust as OS/400, I was an AS/400 bigot.
When I noticed that NT didn't measure up to OS/2, I was an OS/2 bigot. When
I pointed out that Unix variants seemed to provide more stable and secure
web service than NT, I was a Linux bigot.
    Certainly is must be difficult to justify years of installing a platform
that had no other justification for being in the marketplace than the market
influence of the producer. But on the plus side, the next version might
deliver on the last 9 years of promises.
    Yeah, I know that all sounds so harsh and attacking, but I am just being
honest. I've used NT and I really think as a consumer operating system it is
in the top 3. I don't really want to run it down because there isn't any
point.
    But the mistakes of yesteryear are all behind us. As NT becomes more
viable I think we all should consider it when and where it is viable.
    Besides, rumor has it the geniuses at Redmond will soon have a 64-bit
version!

Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net
If you believe that the best technology wins the
marketplace, you haven't been paying attention.