  • Subject: Disk failure
  • From: Neil Palmer <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:34:38 -0400

For those of you who have had failures, why not post the serial numbers of
the bad disks ?
If the record of the replaced disk hasn't been manually deleted from the
records, you should find it/them listed as "Not detected" when you do
DSPHDWRSC *STG.  Take option 9 to display resources associated with the
disk controller, then a 7 to see the serial numbers of the replaced
drives.

                          Display Storage Resources
Type options, press Enter.
  7=Display resource detail   9=Display associated resources

Opt  Resource        Type  Status                Text
     CMB01           675A  Operational           Combined function IOP
 9     DC01          2740  Operational           Disk Storage Controller

                         Display Associated Resources
Type options, press Enter.
  5=Display configuration descriptions   7=Display resource detail

Opt  Resource        Type-model  Status                Text
     DC01             2740-001   Operational           Disk Storage
Controller
       DD005          6717-074   Operational           Disk Unit
 7     DD004          6717-074   Not detected          Disk Unit
       DD003          6717-074   Operational           Disk Unit
       DD002          6717-074   Operational           Disk Unit
       DD001          6717-074   Operational           Disk Unit
       OPT01          6321-002   Operational           Optical Storage
Unit
       TAP01          6383-001   Operational           Tape Unit

Maybe we can compile a list of bad serial numbers, which may help you
determine if your disks are in that range.  It would also help to list the
serial number of the replacement drive that is now reporting is the same
device position, as in theory the replaced ones should be from a good
"batch" so that may help come up with a list of "safe" serial numbers.

I load the load source drive on a 170 that was installed in January.  Lost
it about 3 weeks after install.  Saved by RAID-5.
This was before the recent HIPER disk PTF's.  Have those applied now and
have no trouble since.
For anyone who HASN'T yet applied the HIPER disk PTF's - what's your
excuse ?
Feeling lucky punk ?
Waiting for the DASD Fairy to visit and do it for you ?   ;-)
It's possible that the latest disk microcode PTF's solve the problem, and
it may not actually be bad hardware.
(Again, speculation based on the fact they won;t tell us the full story,
but that may be why Rochester is unwilling to provide information on the
problem, as that would indicate they are at fault and not the disk units).

I'm presuming everyone is only having problems with the 6717's ?
Here's a suggested chart.  I'll start off:

Disk    Device          Defective       Replaced
Type    Position        Drive s/n       Drive s/n
                        (Not detected)  (Operational)
6717    L01             68-0CB869F      68-96221

Were HIPER disk PTF's applied at time of failure ?              No
Assuming you have now applied them, any failure since ? No

PS - Anyone have a list of the country codes IBM uses to identify where
hardware was manufactured ?
For example, 10 is the US,  I believe 44 is Italy, and 78 Mexico. (These
are the common prefixes for AS/400/iSeries serial numbers).
From looking at a couple of 170's we have I see 6717 drives with prefixes
of 68, 75 & 33.
Al was speculating that the defective drives (if it is the drives) were
from Singapore.  Anyone know if one of these 3 prefixes is for Singapore ?
The other 3 drives in my system all have serial numbers with a 75 prefix,
and I haven't had any trouble from them.

PPS - I noticed my defective and replacement load source drives reported
as part # 34L9195, but the other 3 drives show part # 07N3185
I checked another of our 170's, and a customer 150, and all 4 of the 6717
drives on both systems showed as part # 07N3185.

...Neil