  • Subject: Re: How are CPU Speed and Overall CPW Related?
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 14:00:58 -0500

As much as I want this thread to die...

Nathan, your concern is valid.  Don't buy the apples and oranges, (or it's
various permutations) argument.  Perception is 99% of reality.  (My former
boss was fond of quoting John Lennon).  If it's slower on your 400 than
your PC then it IS slower on your 400 than your PC.  That is black and
white.  Yes, absolutes do still exist.  There are a couple of ways that IBM
constrains the system, some you can work around.  Some of their hardware
and software constraints limit the processor for all activities, these are
tough to work around.  Some limit the processor for 5250 work - (I hope you
ran your test in batch).  And for the DSD, or bumblebee servers, just about
everything except for Domino is limited.  Some may argue that 'but the 400
shines with REAL work'.  This string manipulation IS real work.  I severely
restricted a subprocedure in a service program because using a generic huge
string made the results run a VERY noticeable length longer.  Years ago we
moved EDI to a seperate 400 because of the string manipulation's whacking
of performance, (and left it there because of tier pricing).

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    "Nathan M. Andelin"

                    <nathanma@haaga.com        To:
<MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    >                          cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: How are CPU
Speed and Overall CPW Related?
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    05/04/01 11:05 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Let me give you some background, James.  I've been writing a lot RPG code
this past year - building a Web development framework.  And researching
whether a Web framework is a suitable alternative to 5250.

To help me optimize my RPG code, I'll sometimes write an equivalent in
Foxpro or Delphi and compare the difference.  It has puzzled me that my
$1,600 Laptop consistently out performs my $16,000 AS/400 - sometimes by a
factor of 10.  It further confused me after I learned that the AS/400 had a
200 Mhz processor - which I consider fast.  I wondered whether something
was
constraining the AS/400 processor.  I have now learned that IBM has some
means of governing the CPU so that I can only get at about 20% of it's
capacity.  PC manufacturers don't do that.  The puzzle is solved.

Your explanation of the I/O support provided to 5250 applications may lead
someone to conclude that the AS/400 is not built to handle Web
applications.
Perhaps, that's partly right.  I believe OS/400 is ideal for the Web.  But
constrained CPU is not.  Web applications require lots of CPU because they
involve the handling of lengthy streams.  Apparently IBM is beginning to
realize that - the capacity of their new servers is a step in the right
direction.

Nathan.

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com