  • Subject: RE: Reverse Performance Review
  • From: "Ed Chabot" <echabot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:48:16 -0400

Al,
        Written presentation skills are important, so important, in my humble
opinion, that some very good ideas never get implemented because they are
poorly presented.  You can work on your end of it by brushing up on your
summarization and highlighting skills.  Perhaps you can bounce your
presentations off of co-workers who will give you an honest opinion of the
clarity of your presentations and the ability to get your point across as
succinctly as possible.  If co-workers aren't available or aren't right in
your situation, bounce your ideas off of family members or friends.  It's
important to get honest feedback otherwise you won't be able to refine your
work and become a better presenter.  In my experience, either you have a
knack for it or you have to work at it through repetition and revision.
        The fact that your boss expects better results but won't give you the
tools
with which to achieve them is tough.  We have all worked with bosses like
that in our careers fortunately, they usually end up getting bounced.  But
in the meantime, you need to get him to realize that you need some of these
tools to create better work.  My recommendation would be to get your
presentation refined, generate the output as best you can with your current
tools and then present it to your boss mentioning that it would look nicer
if you had access to some of the "modern" tools.  Make sure you refine it
first, otherwise he has ammunition to shoot you down.  I know I'm getting a
bit long-winded but I hope this helps.

Ed Chabot
The Marlin Firearms Company
100 Kenna Drive