MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com writes:
>Does ILE actually have improved string handling over OPM?  Or are you
>just referring to the difference between RPG III and RPG IV?
You're right -- I mean RPG IV over RPG III.

>Hmmmm...   why would you write a seperate CL and RPG?  Why not just do
>the whole thing in a single RPG program with a UsrOpn file?  (To come
>to think of it, I really don't write CL programs anymore these days)
>
>You could also use the QUSLMBR API to get the list of members.  It'd be
>a bit faster than DSPFD.   Though, I don't know how noticable the
>difference would be. :)
>
>Just wondering why you picked this approach?
Gee, simple ignorance, I guess! At the time I was relatively new to the
AS/400 world (still am, I guess!), and nobody here knew  much about either
RPG IV or using APIs. I was pretty much on my own anyway, so I got a CL
book and just played around. The general method of using a DSPxxx command
to produce and outfile and then run the outfile through a CL program
seemed pretty powerful to me, and I used it for all kinds of things
(rebuilding files, compiling programs, etc.) besides the
auto-program-creation project.
 But the method you describe should work just as well (maybe better). . . .

Mike Naughton
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Judd Wire, Inc.
124 Turnpike Road