  • Subject: RE: Horror Stories - Sewer pipes and fans.
  • From: "Pantzopoulos, Mike" <mikepantzopoulos@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:42:51 -0400

Title: RE: Horror Stories - Sewer pipes and fans.

We were installing our general insurance package for an insurance company in Kuala Lumpur, In Malaysia. The development as400 machine had been installed in a small room off the room where the developers sat. We had a lot of other electrical equipment in the room, and although the office was air-conditioned, the little computer room wasn't and of course got quite warm. We set up a couple of fans to move the air out of the room and into the air-conditioned developer's room. One day I'm in this little room and I asked the client's IT manager what all the pipes running across the roof and down the walls were for. Ah... For toilet! He replied. You mean sewage? I asked for confirmation. Yes. And as if to emphasise his point, the gurgling of a flush from an upstairs toilet worked it's way down one of the pipes. The room had been used to gain access to the pipes should anything cause a blockage, so a lot of the pipes had inspection plates that could be removed in order to get long wires up the pipe to clear them if necessary.

For 18 months I worried every day that a burst pipe would cause it's contents to come into contact with the fans. There's another Australian expression for this event, but in the interests of modesty I'll refrain from using it.