  • Subject: Re: Unix Comparison
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:29:46 EST

from Al Macintyre

You need to get some definitions straight first.

Unix is not hardware or software, it is an OPERATING SYSTEM.

AS/400 is a platform that can run several different Operating Systems.

Once upon a time it was possible to run AS/400 with some OS other than OS/400
such as SSP without OS/400 in the picture on the early AS/36 models, but IBM
seems to be getting away from that model, but there may be other models or
perspectives coming out in the future, but all I really know about right now
is that OS/400 is the native OS & various other OS possible on the PLATFORM,
with OS/400 under that OS's covers, so it is LIKE hardware emulation.

Any time you can hot key between more than one OS, like between Windows &
DOS, then you are in a PLATFORM environment.

Not all OS can run on any hardware.
Software is written that is OS specific.
The OS provides some capabilities & constraints that other OS might not have.

PC is hardware.
It supports several OS, such as Windows, Mac, Linux

I think of a LAN as being LIKE an OS.  Novell for example.

I think of WWW as being LIKE an OS.
I think of the internet as being LIKE the hardware.
The internet existed long before WWW was invented, but the user friendliness
of WWW fueled an explosion of population on the internet that in turn fueled
B2B etc.
WWW (like OS) runs on internet (like hardware)
and software has to be developed to work effectively with the languages like
Java & XML.

We run software on OS.
We run OS on hardware.

Unix is OS
HP AS400 PC is hardware.

You probably need to get the opinions of people who are in different biases
with respect to OS background ... like ask about LINUX on Tech Republic

http://www.techrepublic.com/index.jhtml