Hi gang,

Sorry for the long post,
but this is a matter that bothers me for a long time now.

Currently we have 2 routers for our outgoing communication :
one to the AT&T- and the other one to the GlobalOne-network.
All communications over the AT&T-network are migrated one at
the time to the GlobalOne-network.
TCP/IP is almost never a problem , the real pain starts when
the SNA ( encapsulated ) needs to be migrated.

My big question is : where is the relation defined between the
SNA definitions and the IP-address ?
Depending on the source , I get following answers :
1) That relation must be manually entered in the router.
2) That should be done on the AS/400.
3) Nothing, it's automatically taken care of.
4) No clue ( most popular one :-( )

The first answer was given to me by Software Support from IBM.
Having a lot of faith in that person,
I assumed that his answer was the correct one.
But, today one of our partners ( using both AT&T and GlobalOne )
had to replace their Ethernet-card.
Because they have now a different MAC-address,
I assumed that the routers needed some manual re-configuration.
Guess what, after the other parties changed the MAC-addres
in their controller, all communication was up and running again ?

Does somebody knows where and how the SNA-IP relation is made
and if there is a possibility on the AS/400 to check which
SNA connection is using which router ?
Is there a difference between Tokenring/Ethernet over IP ?

Using the DSPAPPNINF-command, I can see which SNA-connection are
currently active.
For migrated connections that are not working, I still
have the indication that the system has valid routing information.
( link active = no ). What is this information worth ?

These are a lot of questions I know,
still I hope that some one of you can provide me some answers.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

  /H\  .          live : Chris.Spirinckx@easynet.be                .  /H\
 (=O=).           ICQ  : 14033396                                   .(=O=)
   U .            work : chris_spirinckx@pee.pioneer.be              . U