  • Subject: RE: IBM Save 21 & GO BACKUP
  • From: "Neil Palmer" <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:14:56 -0500

There were quite a few problems with the 6385 QIC drive, especially on the
slower 170's.  These were eventually addressed through a series of LIC
PTF's that updated the microcode on the 6385. However, the 6385 was
withdrawn from sale May 31.  One of the features that made it so useful
(wide read/write compatibility down to writing as low as QIC120 tapes)
caused problems with users who continued to use older tapes for backup
instead of the newer MLR tapes, as they were more abrasive and caused
premature head wear.  One reason for using the older/lower density tapes
was price, when you didn't need a 13/26GB tape.  That's now been addressed
my the new MLD 2/4GB tape, whic is fairly inexpensive.

Neil Palmer      DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
50 Acadia Avenue, Ste.102                   AS/400~~~~~
Markham, Ontario, Canada.   ____________          ___  ~
Phone:(905) 474-4890 x303   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:  (905) 474-4898         oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com     iSeries 400  The Ultimate Business Server

"Olliges, James" <JOLLIGES@SMURFIT.COM>
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com