  • Subject: Re: Mass ILE recompile question.
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 14:22:22 EST

From MacWheel99@aol.com (Alister Wm Macintyre) (Al Mac)

It is possible to change a file via SQL without having to do any recompiles,
if all you are changing are the labels of the fields, or some other external
aspects that not impact the actual data there.  If you have to recompile
physical files, you will lose all the data there, so have to incorporate a
process to copy the data from the old layout to the new one, and also kill
all the logicals first & recompile them when all done.  If you do use SQL
manipulation of the physical file, be sure to also update the DDS source to
stay in sync.

One thing we need is GO CMDREF in reverse ... ie. the standard report shows
all the objects USED by some program, but when changing a file, you want
output showing all the programs that use a particular file & all the stuff
that use them & some assistance with respect to sequence of recompile like
DDS then RPG that uses the DDS.  Now if you were only doing one file, once in
a blue moon, perhaps you could get at the info you needed via cross-reference
of *ALL to an *OUTFILE, or get shareware of someone who has already done a
lot of the work ...

http://www.dbg400.net (DataBase Generation utilities)  this was called to my
attention in the 400 spool file to PC thread & is somewhat reminisicent of
File Track from http://www.outlookcomputing.com ... with File Track we can
play jigsaw puzzle with the construction of files in a conversion,
transferring fields & their contents between many different files, while with
www.dbg400.net we can rebuild test environments - something I could have used
3 years ago & periodically have had a pain making since.  www.dbg400.net also
has links to other open source 400 sites that I need to explore more.

In addition to building a directory of all the programs that use the file
that is to be changed & all the other stuff that needs to be recompiled to
avoid version check hassles, and the sequence involved, it might be nice if
all of this went into some kind of CL script so you could run it one time, or
several times, using the library list of your test environment, before
running the same thing again with your live environment library list.  I
suspect that www.dbg400.net also has some of that which you could build from.

>  From:    jade.richtsmeier@mcis.cog.mn.us (Jade Richtsmeier)
>
>  We all know that when a file changes, all the programs that use that file
> need to be recompiled.  When using ILE, how do you do a mass rebuild of all
> the objects that use the file?
>
>  Do you use CL to keep track of what modules/service programs and such make
> up a program?  Are there utilities available that help with this sort of
> thing?  Or, does it just become a manual process?
>
>  We're looking for ideas as how this is all managed, and would appreciate
any
> input.
>
>  Thanks!
>  Jade

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838