Dave Mahadevan wrote:

> Folks:
>
> On V3R2 why does 3488 configure itself as 3487?

That was the support for the 34XX, and it continues at least
through V4R3 as a 3487HC normally.

 Is there something
> specific to be done on the 3488 to enable the 27x132 mode?

I can't lay my hands on a VERY obscure document, but I have a small
manual that came out for the 34XX family. It is the ONLY manual that
I have ever seen that describes all the different functions of the
3488/89 terminals. But anyway, here is what you need to get 132 support.

1. It MUST be an IBM monitor on a selected list that supports 132.
   When the 3488/89's came out, it was marketed to support "any"
   industry standard SVGA monitor. This did not prove to be "quite"
   correct. You could attach "any" monitor, but they might or might
   not provide all the features of the IBM monitors.

2. Assuming you have a good monitor.

   A. Power off unit
   B. Hold Down space bar and power on(you are now in offline mode)
   C. Take option 3 to get into "Test Workstation"
   D. Press ALT F20 to enter a "mode" setting
   E. On the bottom of the screen a "Mx" appears
   F. Change this to M5 by pressing <-- -->  keys
   G. Exit out of TEST workstation.
   H. Turn unit off ..... Turn unit back on.
   I. Go into offline setup again and get into setup workstation.
   J. Go through screens and "132 column screen" should be there.
   K. Enable 132 column screen by highlighting
   L. Exit out and sign on to system.
   M. Look at a spool file(you should see 132 columns on screen)

This is all from memory but that should get you going.
I assume you know how to setup split screens and multi sessions.

The 3488 is also capable of supporting multi-sessions with one
address. (Address sharing option in setup).

I'll look for that stupid manual later today....